Saturday, August 2, 2014

Poem "Voyager"

i’ve already spent half a lifetime / mining data for you
in the pipeline defined by my programming
taking photographs / and slowly unraveling the truth
i’m getting farther away from the beginning
but i can’t figure out how to stop being the same thing
and i can’t shake the sensation that I’m spinning
maybe not spinning in place / but what’s the difference / it’s still spinning in space

i’d give anything / nay / i’ve already given everything
just to get away from this place

i’ve nearly spent a half-life / burning through the sky
my thermoelectric generators’ radioisotopes
are approaching their expectancy / and getting so damn tired
the knowledge of the meaning of the universe
can be your blessing, or it can be my curse
and the way that the radiation reads depends on where you are
out here, there are no falling stars / just crossing lights

i’d give anything / nay / i’ve already given everything
just to get away from this place
i’d give anything / to break the bad habits that hold me
i’d give anything / to break out of orbit

but who i am / is something to do with hieroglyphics
and gold and white sands
an encrypted construct of someone's mind
and a bunch of other stuff that there’s a chance
that no one will ever understand
so set me to music / light me on fire
program me with your deepest desires
in space, no one can hear you dream
but if you listen very closely, you can hear your own heart breathe

i'd give anything for it to be quiet enough
to hear myself when i stop thinking
i'd give anything / nay / i’ve already given everything 
just to break away / into interstellar space


<>

a metaphor, of all things
stardate oh-eight-two-five-two-oh-one-two

No comments:

Post a Comment